The organization of Research Schools in developing countries is the historical activity of CIMPA. It aims to foster the development of research in mathematics in deprived areas where there is a real drive and a scope for a research project. Each Research School offers an introduction to recent research in some field of mathematics and is specifically dedicated to the students and research teaching staff from developing countries. The budget allocated by CIMPA to the school is essentially used to cover the participation costs of those participants.
The Call for Projects of CIMPA Research Schools 2020 is open. The project proposals must be submitted by September 10, 2018. The selection of the projects will be completed by the end of January 2019.
The Research School project must be set up jointly by two administrative and scientific coordinators, a “local” one and an “external” one:
- The local coordinator must hold a position at the host institution of the school.
- The external coordinator must hold a position in an institution located in one of the partner countries of CIMPA as of 1 January 2019 (France, Norway, Spain and Switzerland presently, other countries may join CIMPA by 1 January 2019 thus becoming eligible).
The Research School project must necessarily meet the following criteria:
- The Research School must take place within an academic environment (university or equivalent).
- The topic of the Research School must correspond to prior on-site research work and be part of an active research area in mathematics, in pure and applied mathematics as well as related subjects such as computer sciences and theoretical physics.
- The Research School is intended first and foremost for young mathematicians of the country in which it is held and for those of countries nearby, its level must be between pre-doc and post-doc.
- The Research School must last about ten days (between 8 and 15 days) and offer a scientific program including several series of courses (from 4 to 8 courses) and training sessions. Research talks at upper scientific level can be scheduled but not more than one hour per day. By no means, should the school resemble a conference or a workshop.
- The provisional budget of the school (resources and expenses) must be clearly described. The financial support provided by CIMPA shall not represent more than 1/3 of the total budget of the Research School. At least 2/3 of the CIMPA financial support needs to be used for travel and/or living expenses of CIMPA participants.
- With regard to gender balance, the scientific and organization committees as well as the list of lecturers must comprise at least 30% women and at least 30% men.
More generally, the project of the Research School must comply with the guidelines described in the document CIMPA_RS_INSTR_en.pdf.
Research School projects will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Scientific and pedagogical quality.
- Scientific relevance of the project with respect to the local context.
- Impact of the project on local and regional development.
- Reliability of the provisional budget.
- Financial commitment of local institutions.
- Level of involvement of women in the project.
The selected project proposals for CIMPA Research School 2019 will receive financial support from CIMPA in the range of €8,000 to €12,000. Since CIMPA’s financial support should not represent more than 1/3 of the total budget, the coordinators must seek to secure diversified sources of funding at the local and international level as early as possible (see document CIMPA_RS_FUNSOL_en.pdf).
How to submit a project proposal
The project coordinators must download the document CIMPA_RS_APP_en.odt, fill it in, convert it to a pdf file and and send it to the email address provided, along with their CV’s and a supporting letter from the host institution. Project proposals must be submitted by September 10, 2018.
- Proposal Template to complete and return: CIMPA_RS_APP_en.odt
- Call for Projects in pdf: CIMPA_CALL_RS_2020_en.pdf
- Instructions for completing the Proposal Template: CIMPA_RS_INSTR_en.pdf
- Possible sources of funding: CIMPA_RS_FUNSOL_en.pdf
- Example of project proposal: CIMPA_RS_APP_EX_en.pdf