What is a WAMS
The mathematical isolation of most of the countries in West Asia makes impossible for young strong students in mathematics to continue with their mathematical career. In most of the cases, they are not even able to attend courses with enough level in mathematics, which makes also impossible for them to attend programs abroad. The intention of the WAMS is to help in changing this situation.
Main goals of WAMS
• To provide postgraduate students the knowledge of fundamental mathematics, pure and applied, either to enable them to continue the mathematical career or to insert them in society to help in the progress of social issues.
• To create links of mathematical cooperation between coutries in West Asia, and also between countries in West Asia and developed countries.
• To provide with specific courses and material that could be taught in subsequent years after the school is finished.
The following should be considered to organize a WAMS
Organization The school is organized by a member of the mathematical comunity in a developing country, together with a local institution, university, mathematical society, etc.
Expenses The local expenses will be covered by local institutions. Travel expenses for foreign participants and speakers, could be covered by the local institution, CIMPA, IMU, ICTP, or other international institutions intended for coopera- tion in development of mathematics. In any event, the funds by CIMPA will follow the general guidelines [http://www.cimpa-icpam.org/activites-par-region/guidelines-in-case-of-cimpa/?lang=en]
Duration From 2 to 4 weeks.
Contents During the WAMS intensive courses at postgraduate level will be given by speakers with proved excellence in research and teaching. From two to four courses are recommended. Only one course could be also considered, but never more than four. When there are more than two courses, only attendance to two of them is compulsory. If there are more than two courses, It is recomended that at least one speaker is from developed countries and at least another one is given by a local researcher from the country itself or from a neighbouring country. Each intensive course will dedicate 50% of the time to develop the theory and 50% will be use for problem sessions, which will be interactive with the students. Notes with both the theory and the problems will be given to the participants before the school, and will remain in a database for future reference.
Students are required to take part in the discussion of problems and undertake written examinations. At the end of the courses they are given a final evaluation.
After the school, the organizers will present a report of the school to CIMPA, with the results obtained after the evaluation, the updated budget and any other information that could help to understand the school.
Call for applications 2015. The schools are intended for January 2015 to
Deadline December 15, 2014 (closed)
Decision of the Committee
There have been two applications,
1). Boundary value problems and approximations, Erbil. Accepted pending on revision.
School accepted after revision. See the report by Fatima Aboud in this page.
2). Dynamical systems and Ergodic Theory. Does not fit the guidelines of the call. We expect to be resubmitted next year.
New call WAMS 2015
Call for applications 2016. The schools are intended for January 2016 to
Deadline December 15, 2015 (closed)
Decision of the Committee
There have been two applications.
1) Dynamical Systems, Lahore, Pakistan. (This school has been cancelled. For fiurther information contact us, or the organizers of the school)
2) Iterative methods for solving the boundary’s data reconstruction problems, Erbil, Kurdistan, Irak.
Both applications have been accepted.
New call WAMS 2016
Call for applications 2017. The schools are intended for January 2017 to
Deadline December 15, 2016 (open)
Contact The application should be sent to CIMPA at firstname.lastname@example.org. If needed you can contact Elisa Gorla, email@example.com and/or Jorge Jimenez firstname.lastname@example.org . A committee at CIMPA specially dedicated to WAMS will decide the projects to be funded.
Application The application should contain the following information. In order to fill in properly the application, the organizers are encouraged to contact the CIMPA representatives Elisa Gorla, email@example.com and/or Jorge Jimenez firstname.lastname@example.org, before submitting the proposal.
• Contact of local organizing institution, name and email.
• Contact of local organizer coordinator, name, institution and email
• Local committee (5 members at most), specifying the role of each member.
• Scientific committee.
• Detailed program of the school
• Description of each course.
• Expected number of participants.
• Expected number of female participants.
• Lodging and living facilities.
• Expected budget, with detailed income and outcome.
• local web page of the school, including registration process, and local information to attend the school as well as the full description of the school and committees.
Report school Irak 2015 - 125.5 ko
Group picture, WAMS, Irak, 2015 - 243.6 ko
Dans la même rubrique :